Sunday, May 16, 2010

Saying Goodbye...

Another blog post… once again I apologize for the delay!


After a week of school work I decided I needed another adventure. I planned to head to Munich to meet up with Ashley Grosz, Erin Grossman, and Greer Brody! Unfortunately there was a little delay… The Icelandic Volcano decided that after 200+ years it wanted to erupt the day before I wanted to get on a plane and go to Munich. Not only did it erupt, but all the ashes headed toward Scandinavia leaving Iceland free and clear for airspace travel. Being the adventurous woman that I am (NOT!), I decided to catch a train for a total of 12 hours, standing room only, to get to Munich for this amazing event called Spring Fest. I only booked a train one way, because the airlines said because the ashes were moving so quickly that by Sunday I would definitely be able to catch my flight back to Copenhagen.

Once I was in Munich, it was totally worth the dreadful train ride. Spring Fest is a miniature version of Oktoberfest… and that is probably the next big trip I will be making (hehe). It is this giant festival/carnival with rides, games, and TONS of beer. The beer gardens open up enormous tents in this park venue that are filled with picnic style tables lined up in rows throughout this entire tent. The tent that I located my friends in definitely had well over 500 people inside. When I finally made it to the table, to my surprise, it was not only Ashley, Erin, and Greer, but Lauren Halpern came from Florence too! After quite a few beers and some jumping on tables to the amazing live band, we headed out to find a place to eat. On our way out of the park I hear my name being shouted from a not so far distance… Sam Lipsitz came out of the crowd! Not only was this a Green Trails/PCH reunion, but also Camp Sabra! Doesn’t get much better than those blasts from the past! After a few minutes of remonising, we went to a restaurant and had some dinner, then headed back to our hotel to call it an early night!

The next day, we got up and went to breakfast at a bagel place and got some Starbucks. After breakfast we walked around for a bit, then headed to Spring Fest once again! We didn’t spend too much time there, because that evening we had plans to go to one of Greer’s family friends homes for dinner and a
 night on the town! When we got to the Stenger’s home, we were welcomed by Jeri and 2 of her 3 boys, Ronald and Sebastian, and a bunch of Ronald’s friends. Not only was the home magnificent, but the food was too! We ate outside on their beautiful patio, and laughed and drank. It was so nice to be in a place where it felt a bit like home! After a ton of food for dinner, Ronald, his girlfriend Tina, and his friends took all us girls with them to a party that was being held to raise money for graduation. This was so weird, because we were expecting a high school party, but this was at a club, with a bar, and tons of alcohol. So much different than at home! After some time at this club, we left and went to McDonalds! After McDonalds, we walked around in search of another club, but everything was pretty much closed up, so we headed back to the hotel and went to sleep.

The next morning, Ashley, Erin, and Greer boarded a bus to take them back to Barcelona because their flight was cancelled. I checked on my flight and it was cancelled as well. The earliest train I could take was a night train, standing room only, on Wednesday evening. Luckily, Jeri
offered that if any of us get stuck that we should call her for help. Considering I was helpless and alone in Munich I took her up on her offer, and it was one of the best things I could have done. Jeri welcomed me into her home with open arms! She took care of me like I was her own daughter. I truly feel like I have another family now. Ronald took me under his wing and made sure that I was always having fun! I had the time to see different sites around the city, go to the castles, and even visit Ronald’s English class! That was so fun to talk to them about what it was like to live in the states and go to a university. The easiest description is that it’s just like the movies… literally! The togetherness was truly comforting! I love and can’t wait to return to Munich!

After an expensive flight home, and a ton of work to do for school, Sarah and Stephanie Callahan came to visit me! It was so much fun to have friends come and see where I have been spending my last few months! We went out on Thursday night… long night…chilled with celebrities, went on a canal tour, climbed the round tower, went to Christiania, saw Rosenborg Slot (castle!), and to Tivoli! I loved having them around, and wish they could have stayed longer.

The next weekend I attended a Danish birthday party for Susanne, my adopted Danish buddy! It was such a great time and was so nice to be included in a family event! We had a great time eating authentic Indian food, because her mom just returned from a trip to India, and drank a bit of wine. It was definitely the definition of hygge!

My last two weeks were filled with lots of paper writing, going out, enjoying time with friends, more celebrities (Third Eye Blind), and a little bit of relaxation too! Packing was a complete nightmare, but as I sit here in the airport, awaiting my 13+ hours of travel today, I reflect on this past semester. Being away from so many of the people I love was very tough, but I have never felt so at home in a place that wasn’t my home. The people and the traditions make the city of Copenhagen what it is. So many people say, “Studying abroad was a life changing experience for them.” I completely agree, but feel that those words have lost their meaning. That does not express, in the least, the impact that this experience has had on me. I am of course looking forward to seeing everyone at home, but will miss Denmark, the people I met, and the people I reunited with. Beautiful, though gloomy Copenhagen will forever and always be my second home!

No comments:

Post a Comment