Sunday, January 31, 2010

I have a full 2 weeks under my belt!...

Hello friends and family!


Here is my second update from my crazy experiences in Copenhagen! Things could not be going better. I have made a ton of new friends and we have become like a little family. We cook dinner together and go out together… way too much fun!
The past 2 weeks have been so jam packed with fun that it is hard to sit down and write everything but I will do the best that I can! The first week was a huge adjustment. Getting used to the time change was truly just the half of it! I live in a tiny little room with a girl named Ellie that goes to UVA… We introduce ourselves as “we are Alli & Ellie… if you call us either name, we will still probably both answer!” Week one was all informational meetings and “Surviving Denmark” classes, but it was interesting, I guess! The best part was just wondering the city. I live in the most amazing location… it is right in the center of the city. My street is called Skindergade (pronounced Skin-a-gill)… ya Danish is a really weird language, but everyone here speaks English so it helps!

We live in this beautiful, newly renovated, apartment complex that is now called “shared housing” and each floor sleeps 11 people plus an RA. We have a full kitchen, living room, bathrooms, etc. We literally live in a dream world. We were told that this building costs over 8 million dollars plus renovations that were made… It’s pretty ridiculous! I am going to do my best to attach pictures of our apartment to this post!
Being in the middle of the city really helps with getting acclimated because I can just go for a walk and end up somewhere that I have never seen before. A few days ago I went on a run (ya I know… big deal for me) for 2.5 hours and saw so much of the city! I love that, and think that will become part of my weekly routine!
Classes are going well. School is literally a 5 minute walk from my apartment and I love that! Everything is a lot more hands on, and I think that also has a lot to do with the size of the class and the type of teachers. Each of my professors works out in the field in which I am studying in their class and can give us the opportunity for real life, hands on experience. I really love my Marketing professor. He is so intelligent and I think I will really learn a lot for his class about how to set myself up for a successful future.

As for the au pairs… I have seen Benedicte a couple times and each time has been more and more wonderful. We spent yesterday shopping around Copenhagen and eating Danish hotdogs (amazing!) with chocolate milk! I have spoken with Rebecca, and am planning on visiting her and her family when they return from their vacation! I am really excited to travel to Norway to visit Nina and her beautiful family, and we are currently trying to find a time that will work out for the both of us! 

I unfortunately haven’t done too much sightseeing yet! I went on a trip last weekend to an Abbey that used to be occupied by monks so many years ago. It was pretty fun! I did a lot of physical activity out in the snow with my friend Meagan and we have never been so cold in our lives!
That was the coldest day that Copenhagen has seen in over 10 years… along with this being their coldest winter with the most snowfall… Just my luck, right?! Otherwise, I am just trying to get used to living so far away from everything that I am used to! I cannot wait for people to start visiting! If anyone wants to I have a beautiful place where you are all welcome to stay!!! I will be seeing the fam starting March 11th and Kyle on March 27th!!! AHHH cant wait to share this beautiful place with everyone! I will continue posting pictures on facebook and will try to figure out how to post them on this blog. Sorry if I am terrible at updating.. I am going to do my best to stay on top of it! If I remember anything else later I will add to this post! But I am going to call it a night!

Hope everyone is happy and healthy!

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH you just made my day with this wonderful post! Thank you so much for posting! I'm so happy to hear it is so much FUN!! just wait, baby- it only gets better. Love you love you love you and Keep posting!
    - Dene

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your blog! What a brave girl you are going abroad! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete